Friday, March 7, 2008

come Sailing

Come sail the azure sea with me
Feel the pull of the pulsing waves
The whisper of the breeze singing softly
Tasting the salt from the spray as we knife
Through the water
Seeing past the curve of the horizon
Skin warmed and shining in the Caribbean sun
Gleaming under the night sky’s swirling stars
Barefoot wet flaps as we run around
The small deck like children chasing dreams
Laughing
Sitting after dinner, chatting about what we read
As the day grew long, becalmed
Bobbing in the ocean like the last Cheerio in the bowl
Holding fast, lashed to the mast using a short rope
Wet in raingear as the summer storms beat the bow
Wave after wave
And after years of tacking back and forth
Laughing into the wind and crying to the lee
And keeping those storms at bay
With our hands callused from the ropes
Twining our lives to one purpose
Your smile that holds the blazing heat
Tilting our heads together over the tiller
We’ll pull in port
And say what a ride it was
Please don’t say no

3 comments:

Jo Janoski said...

Sounds like someone is dreaming of a vacation? Beautiful poem, full of rush and vigor. I love the Cheerio simile of and in itself, but it didn't fit in with the rest. Could you change it to something more romantic--like the last bubble in the wine or something. That darned Cheerio really got me down. Makes me want to clang it down with my spoon and drown it. lol.

Bubba said...

I agree with Jo about the Cheerio, but for a different reason. For me, the last Cheerio always sticks to the side of the bowl... I loved this, Harry... the vitality carries it on waves of hope-- a formula for adventure in any life.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a dream vacation! Far away from reality...can I go? Especially if it's not raining, sleeting or snowing or...sunshine and Cheerios sounds good to me! A very beautiful and romantic vision.