Tuesday, December 11, 2007

So Much More

It was so much more than a silent night
Voices raised to the joy in the world
Each register reaching notes on high
Pure human sounds transcending emotions
Tones stirring visions of angles on the wing
Many voices becoming and sustaining a single sound
A warm hand in a warm hand
Fingers entwined, a double helix of life
Sideways glances catching/sharing ocular light
Waves of sight and sound washing, cleansing souls
Sharing the air of breaths
What was carried in was sitting on benches
Worn shiny by decades of shifting bodies
But what is carried out in deep pockets
Of understanding
Makes all the difference
Each step away from the building
Echoing from the canyons of glass and steel

4 comments:

Bubba said...

Ah, yes... the beauty of parishoners enjoying the religious side of Christmas, complete with all the touches that make a church come to life. I especially like your understated style in your treatment of the subject. I felt led to the conclusion, not jerked or pushed... and isn't that the way we should experience a bounty of fellowship? Nice job, Harry...

Word Catalyst Magazine said...

I agree. This is really beautiful and left me with the sights and sounds of Christmas. It sounded even more meaningful when I read it out loud. Very moving. You are very wise, my friend.

terrymcdermott said...

This was beautiful!

Dan said...

Harry, I've just begun perusing, you're older work. I believe this one is my favorite! The shiny benches remind me of the little country church I grew up in. Thanks