Thursday, February 7, 2008

Warmth of Laughter

The cold shadows of the past play across the floor
Dancing pale gray in mirror images
Low
Like the bit of melody of some long lost song
As I remember the whispers of your voice
Sliding over my memory like the wind
Plays across the summer grass
Gently bowing their heads
Reaching for the sun
I try again to drink deeply the draft from your eyes
Seeing into the strengths and sorrows of your soul
Feeling the warmth of your laughter
I hold that memory tightly
Move on, move on
The effort the day outweighs my resources
Does an oak tree need to be true to its nature
Or does it really want to be a maple tree
Or a blade of grass singing in the wind?
What bird or fish is confused by what it is?
Walt I hear you
I try and go forth each day and become
Attempting to be what I am inside my head
Defined by the double helix that I am
Just be
I want to reach out and touch your hand
Feeling the warmth of unconditional love
Entwined in your fingers
It’s long past time to create more than new memories
And dispel the shadows
I dance to the notes of laughter I’ve not yet heard
Reaching for shadows not yet there
In new moments creating new resources

3 comments:

Bubba said...

The last six lines are a beautiful synopsis of hope for all that came before. There can be little doubt of your double helix, my friend. Just keep steppin'... and please, please keep reminding us of the beauty around us, even in melancholy.

Word Catalyst Magazine said...

Just keep going forth, my friend! Who you are is someone very special. Your words are somehow much more than words. They are filled with sentiment and hope and truth. All any of us have is today and you always remind us to make the best of it. Thanks for that!:)

Jo Janoski said...

The first 9 lines was so hauntingly beautiful. I think this is one of your best. It rolls in from the heart.